Hi guys! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :) I don’t really get into it as a holiday, but if you’re Trick or Treat-ing, good for you! Candy was always the best part of Halloween for me. Then you get too old for it and you only use it as an excuse to dress all slutty (Mean Girls!) — we all had that phase… right? Lol, I was once a slutty soldier. I cringe! Anyway, I don’t have a Halloween-themed post for today or anything, but I’m working on uploading my October favourites video at the moment. It’s taking much longer than expected, so I decided to go ahead and let this post loose first. :) Meet my five favourite lip glosses! :) I discovered the wonders of a good gloss late in my “makeup life” because I thought that all glosses were glassy, tacky, hair traps. They were just messy things I couldn’t be bothered with. Then I had the chance to try a mini lip gloss from Urban Decay (the one that comes with the NAKED 2 palette) and my mind was blown! It was the perfect texture, comfortable on the lips, manageable when it came to trapping hair, and it smelled of mint (love!). That gloss would undoubtedly be a part of my favourites now if I still had it. Sucks that UD is not available here, but I will definitely buy a full size one day! For now though, these lippies are keeping me quite happy:
1. VMV Hypoallergenics Lip Gloss in Coquette Rosette (1,000 Php) – This lip gloss is more like a liquid lipstick. It’s completely opaque. I use it alone most of the time because it makes little difference if I wear it over a lipstick. You do have to be careful about rubbing your lips when this is on because it kind of balls up when you do that, but if you don’t have that habit, this will wear for ages!
2. MAC Cremesheen Glass in Colour Saturation (2, 450.00 Php for a set of 4) – I only have three MAC glosses and they’re all from the set I got last Christmas (gave one away). This cremesheen glass is my favourite because the colour is a beautiful purple/plum with a hint of pink in it. The name Colour Saturation is apt. You do get a punch of purple from this and you can wear it both alone or layered over a lipstick to alter the shade. On its own it’s not quite opaque but it’s definitely not sheer either. Your lips will show through the veil of shiny purpleness in the prettiest way! This spreads evenly and wears for around 3 hours without eating or drinking. Smells of vanilla just like MAC lipsticks, but it has faded over time.
3. Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss in Rose Sugar 3 (approx. 1,300.00 Php) – This is the lip gloss that I can wear over top of my MLBB lipsticks without altering the colour too much. It just adds a shine that really lasts. This is the only gloss that has lasted on my lips for an entire day out (approx. 6 hours?), keeping its shine and just resting really comfortably on my lips. Smells of cookies!
4. Stila Lip Glaze in Sugar Plum (approx. 1,300 for Christmas set of 8 / 800Php individually) – The only one in the bunch with a brush applicator! This one works like a click pen. You twist the end opposite the brush to dispense product and then just swish it on with the brush. You don’t get too much product, but the way it’s pushed out means there isn’t any going to waste, whereas when you have gloss in a tube, you can’t always get everything. Still, 0.05 oz is very little product. Buy these in Christmas sets and save yourself from spending the full price!
5. Mini Shu Uemura Gloss Unlimited in PK 70 C (700.00Php for a set of 2 travel sized minis) – Got this one off Taste Central thinking it was a set of two big ones. Oops! Oh well, it’s a cute size and it was my own fault for not checking. I love the formula of this though! Very smooth and not tacky at all. Because of the milky pink colour, I use this when I want to lighten a lip stick or make it more like a pastel.
To see swatches and close-ups of the applicators, click on through! :)
Swatched in the order that I wrote about them. The VMV is the most opaque and has a satin finish, the MAC one is shiny and semi-opaque, the Bobbi Brown has a shiny frost finish (not the ugly frost), the Stila one is quite a bit sheer and is not too shiny, and the Shu Uemura one is the creamiest and has pretty good colour pay off.
I’m obviously not too adventurous with colours when it comes to lip gloss, hehe! Because I have relatively thin lips, I like to use gloss to give the effect of fuller, plump lips. That usually calls for a natural colour anyway. Four out of five have doe foot applicators. That usually indicates higher colour opacity and a thicker, creamier texture. Brush applicators are for high-shine lip glosses. The MAC dazzleglass formulation uses them, for example. Of my favourites with doe foot applicators, only the Shu Uemura one is a little different. It’s a lot more flexible than the others and it is also shaped more like a paddle which tapers in a bit at the top. It picks up gloss on both sides instead of just at the tip. It’s really easy to spread colour with that one, actually!
And those are my fave lip glosses! :) Hope you enjoyed looking at all that shine! What are your faves? :)